Sunday, December 28, 2014

Our #4 Pick... Stepbrother Dearest

Hello Fabulous Readers!

We are getting close to revealing our number one pick for the year. Any ideas on what it might be yet?

Well, until then, take a look at our #4 pick for 2014. It is a great tale that had my heartstrings tugged at. I, like all of you out there, love a good story that does that to the old ticker. :)



Description:

You’re not supposed to want the one who torments you. 

When my stepbrother, Elec, came to live with us my senior year, I wasn’t prepared for how much of a jerk he’d be. 

I hated that he took it out on me because he didn’t want to be here. 
I hated that he brought girls from our high school back to his room. 
But what I hated the most was the unwanted way my body reacted to him. 

At first, I thought all he had going for him were his rock-hard tattooed abs and chiseled face. Then, things started changing between us, and it all came to a head one night. 

Just as quickly as he’d come into my life, he was gone back to California. 

It had been years since I’d seen Elec. 

When tragedy struck our family, I’d have to face him again. 

And holy hell, the teenager who made me crazy was now a man that drove me insane.

I had a feeling my heart was about to get broken again.

Why I LOVE it:

Penelope Ward does a great job with each and every book that she writes! This book was no exception. It took me a while to get around to reading this book and when I finally did I kicked myself for waiting so long! 

This story starts off when Greta is a senior in high school and is getting prepared for her step brother to come live with her and her family for the next school year. She was all sorts of excited, and once she laid eyes on Elec, she was definitely attracted to him. However, Elec walked in the door, he made it very clear that he wanted nothing to do with her, and that set her off.

"There was no way I wanted to be his sister. For one, when he turned to me, he looked like he wanted to kill me. And two, once I got my first look at his chiseled face, it became abundantly clear that while my mind was wary of him, my body had been instantly put under a spell, one I would have given anything to come out from under."

Needless to say, Elec spent most of his time there being a relative pain in the a**. However, he does have moments where he seems to protect her from others or is just simply hanging out with her. He runs hot/cold with her for the majority of the time there, and when Greta finally confronts him about that his only response is:

"I can't answer that question any more than you can tell me why you look at me the way you do even though I've treated you like sh*t". 

As the story progresses, the two cannot ignore their feelings any longer and it all comes to a head when Elec tells Greta he will have to go home to his mother the next day and never return. This breaks Greta's and Elec's heart and she ends up sleeping with him that night. When morning comes, he says goodbye and walks out of her life for the next 6 years.

"I know that despite my warning, you gave me a piece of your heart anyway last night. And even though I tried to stop it, I gave you a piece of mine. I know you could feel this happening this morning. I want you to keep it with you tucked away. And when you decide to give the rest of yours to another guy someday, please make sure it's someone who deserves you."

The second part of the story takes place 6 years later and Elec's dad has just died. Greta goes to comfort her mother and finds herself anxious to see Elec after all of these years. Only when he arrives, he is not alone. His girlfriend has made the trip with him. 

Broken hearted, Greta tries to be there for her mother and comfort her in her loss, however, her thoughts are still of Elec and what they once had. 

Once Elec's girlfriend leaves to go home for a wedding, Greta finds herself comforting Elec, and trying to protect her heart at the same time. She knows that she can't have him, but she can't stop herself from wanting to be around him. 

"I never got over hurting you the first time, but hurting you twice... believe me when I say the was the last thing I ever wanted to see happen in my lifetime."

This story of love and loss and finding your way home again is beautifully told and has you in tears at some points! But in the end, Elec and Greta make the best choice for themselves and learn that the road to happiness isn't always the easiest. 


***** 5 stars

VA

Link to Amazon                   Link to Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment